Friday, October 26, 2007

thing 10

I searched for 'copyright australia' (midway through was wishing I had chosen something like 'chocolate hedgehog', but never mind - it's there for another day).

del.icio.us came up with 562 hits: one thing that had already struck me about their layout is that it would be very useful if there was a visible date - if you aren't familiar with your topic you could spend a lot of time looking at 4 year old newspaper articles (not necessarily a bad thing, but irritating if you're looking for current information) - I do like the way the 'social' aspect can take you to other directly or laterally relevant sites.

Connotea came up with one item - which wasn't actually about copyright or australia anyway - and their 828 hits for 'copyright' alone mixed in IP, trademarks, etc etc and were all (well the ones I looked at) from/about the USA. I liked the layout though.

Citeulink didn't have anything for 'copyright australia', and I didn't bother to tweak my search term.

Google offered 19,400,000 hits (334,000 when I chose Australian sites only) - it was interesting that a number of government departments: the AG's dept, the ACC, and CAL and other useful sites were top of the lists - I wonder how they managed that? $$$? However after those, the hits were mostly to copyright and disclaimer statements on websites - not so useful.

Dogpile gave me 36 sites - the AG's, CAL, and the ACC; but then more copyright and disclaimer statements.

Zuula had 'about' 497,000,000 hits via google, 503,000,000 from yahoo etc - it's good to be able to switch, but again there was a strong US focus and included trademarks, patents, etc.

Kartoo had 476,000,000 hits but only displayed half a dozen or so at a time on its map - very focussed though - it would probably take me a while to get used to visual prompts rather than words - but I was quite taken with it, and liked their adjacent topic list.

The social searches are interesting because they can lead to other connections that might be shared by co-posters - and I do like working out both my own folksonomies as well as other people's.

No comments: